Early 1700’s


According to a Virginia Beach Beacon story from June 25/26,1987, Lynnhaven Inlet developed when Adam Keeling cut an opening through a sand bar to allow fishermen to cross from Lynnhaven Bay to the Lynnhaven River. The natural river inlet was closer to Little Creek. After the sand bar was opened, tidal flow is thought to have eroded both sides of the shore.

1902


Electrified trollies, with a stop at Ocean Park, ran along the edge of Chesapeake Bay and straddled Lynnhaven Inlet. Chesapeake Transit Company operated the system which ran until the 1920’s. The Norfolk Southern Bus Company took over and arranged planks over the rails for buses that carried passengers to Cape Henry according to a “Back Then” story in the Beacon (August 7/8, 1990)




1906


In 1989 Stephen Mansfield, author and history professor at Virginia Wesleyan College, gave a guest lecture to the Ocean Park Civic League in which he mentioned, according to notes taken at the time, that the Lynnhaven Hotel opened this year. Only one other mention was ever uncovered and that revealed nothing about its location.